WYCOMBE HOUSE CRICKET CLUB HISTORY
The club was formed by members of the Hammersmith Branch of the YMCA at the end of 1888. The name ‘Wycombe House’ was derived from the name of the YMCA’s Hammersmith Road H.Q – which has long since been demolished.
The club’s first ground was a pitch on Wormwood Scrubs rented from the London County Council and it later played on a number of rented grounds in the West London area before arriving at its present ground in 1939.
The ground was requisitioned during World War II as a farm for livestock and cricket did not restart until 1948. Since then the club has gone from strength to strength, purchasing its own freehold in 1978 and inaugurating a new clubhouse in 1981.
It was in 1953 that the colts played their first games and since then they have had many great successes. Most notably, our under 13′s were National Champions in 1987, 1992 and 1999 – and, in 1992, the colts had a clean sweep winning the Area and County Leagues at all age groups, becoming the first winners of the County Victor Laudorum Cup, which they again won in 1999 and 2000.
Colts from Wycombe House have gone on to play variously for England, Middlesex, Worcestershire, Somerset, Essex, Kent, Middlesex Colts, Middlesex Schools, England Schools and MMC, Middlesex and England Young Cricketers.